What to do when a tenant dies

Losing a loved one is never easy and there are so many things to arrange and people to tell.

Here’s some useful information about what we need to know and also a handy check list of other organisations you need to speak too.

Who can end a tenancy?

The Executor or Next of Kin for the tenant can end the tenancy; A Notification of death form is to be completed by executor/NOK. Death certificate is also required for Ongo Homes to be able to end the tenancy or process a succession request; we can copy the death certificate on your behalf.

Who can succeed a tenancy?

In the event of the death of a tenant, an occupant residing in the same property may have a legal right to succeed (take over) to the tenancy, this is a Spouse, civil partner, cohabiting partner. A member of deceased tenant’s family or person living with them who was caring for the tenant and whom has lived at the property for at least 12 months before the tenant passed away.

Where successions will result in under-occupation or where a specially adapted property is no longer needed, we will seek to offer suitable alternative housing provision between 6 and 12 months of the death of the tenant.

We will respond to applications to take over tenancies within 20 working days.

Does the rent still need paying?

Rent will accrue on the rent account up to the point the tenancy is ended and keys are returned.
Any housing benefit will stop the day after the tenant passes away. Rent is then due from the estate of the deceased tenant and not the Executor/Next of kin up to the point keys are returned.
The 28 day notice period will not be enforced and it can be discussed with us how long you may need to clear the property, but bear in mind that rent will be accruing on the account.

Pre termination visit

If agreed with the executor/next of kin, a pre termination visit will be arranged by the lettings officer, there it can be discussed if carpets, curtains, sheds can be left.
The property, garden and any outbuildings should be cleared and emptied of all belongings.

North Lincolnshire council offer the bulky items service and will collect 3 bulky items for disposal, for free in each financial year for each household. 01724 297000

The Choose to Re-Use store offers free collection of household goods/furniture that can be sold in the second hand shop to people who need affordable furniture for their home. They cannot take white goods or gas appliances. 01724 279900

Who will contact the utility companies?

Utility companies will need to be informed, (gas, electric, water & sewerage) who will require, details of the tenant, details of executor/NOK, meter readings and the date keys are expected to be returned to the landlord.

Upon receiving notification of death of a tenant, Ongo homes will apply to have the gas and electric supplier transferred to their preferred supplier.

Useful numbers:

Severn Trent-03457 500 500
Anglian Water- 03457 145 145
Yorkshire water- 03451 24 24 24

Any gas cookers must be disconnected by a Gas Safe engineer.

Aids and adaptations

Any specialised equipment such as walking aids, bath seats, stair lifts need to be returned to North Lincolnshire Council Occupational Therapy, they can be contacted on 01724 290600.

How and where do I return the keys?

All keys, fobs and parking permits for the property should be returned by the agreed date, usually not more than 28 days. Keys should be handed in at either office below, where an advisor will provide you a receipt for them.

Meridian House,
Normanby Road,
DN15 8QZ 


Customer Centre,
Cole Street,
DN15 6QY

We don’t recommend that you send these in the post, but if you have no alternative then recorded delivery is recommended.

Providing that a Notification of Death form has been completed by the Executor/NOK and a death certificate has been received, someone may return the keys to us on your behalf at either office.

Other useful contacts

Have you remembered to contact:

• Bank/Building society
• Doctors, dentists, opticians or any other agency providing medical care.
• Pension scheme providers
• Insurance companies

The North Lincolnshire Council ‘tell us once’ service will inform:

• Attendance allowance
• Adult services
• Blue badge parking permit
• Carer's allowance
• Child benefit
• Child tax credit
• Children's services
• Council tax
• Council tax benefit
• Disability living allowance
• Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
• Electoral services
• Employment support allowance
• Housing benefit
• Incapacity benefit
• Income support
• Jobseeker's allowance
• Library services
• Owe payments to council
• Passport service
• Tax help for older people
• Working tax credit

Please ring 01724 298555 to arrange an appointment to register a death. You will then be offered the ‘tell us once’ service.

A to Z

Can't find what you are looking for?

Popular pages


Latest news

House fire (1)