Gas safety

As your landlord, by law, under the Gas Safety Regulations, we have to make sure your home has a current Gas Safety Certificate and that appliances (such as your boiler) are serviced at least every 12 months. Have a read here to find out what it is we do.

Gas SafetyCarbon Monoxide

What is it?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas which can be emitted by faulty appliances powered by any fuel that burns.

What are the signs of CO?

Look out for gas appliances doing the following:

  • burning with a yellow/orange flame that's normally blue
  • extra condensation
  • pilot lights blowing out
  • sooting and/or yellow stains around them.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? 

You might experience any of the following:

  • flu-like' symptoms,
  • chest or stomach pains,
  • erratic behaviour,
  • nausea and/or vomiting,
  • breathlessness,
  • feeling tired or drowsy,
  • giddiness/headaches,
  • visual problems.

Remember to open the window when using your cooker to keep air flowing through the kitchen.

Have a gas cooker?

If you have a gas cooker in your home, it is your own property which means we are not responsibile for its regular servicing and maintenance.

It’s important to have gas appliances regularly serviced to make sure they work safely and to protect everyone in your home from the danger of carbon monoxide (CO).

We recommend that you have your cooker serviced annually by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

You will find local engineers by accessing the Gas Safe Register website or by looking for engineers in your local paper or service directory such as the Yellow Pages.

Find out more

For more information on gas safety, you can contact us.


Page last updated: 23 December 2015

A to Z

Can't find what you are looking for?

Popular pages


Latest news

House fire (1)