We all need to feel safe in our homes.
Don’t worry, crime is on the decrease in North Lincolnshire as we become more security aware.
Here’s some simple advice. Please take it on board as it could prevent you becoming a victim of crime.
- Make sure windows are closed at night or when you are away from home and always use locks if they are fitted
- Close and lock your doors – even if you are at home. It takes two seconds for someone to sneak in through your back door and steal a purse or bag
- Don’t leave cash lying on display
- Never let strangers into your home unless they can prove their identity
- All Ongo Homes and ongo staff and partners have official identification cards showing their photo, their name and the company logo
- Keep sheds and outdoor buildings locked
- If you live in a block of flats make sure the entrance doors are kept closed
- Don’t let any callers into the block unless they are your own visitors
- Don’t leave ladders, steps or tools outside If you see anyone acting suspiciously in your neighbourhood, report it to the police
- Never leave a spare key in a hiding place, such as under a doormat or flowerpot, or inside a letterbox
- If you use a key to open your door, keep it handy – in case you need to get out quickly because of a fire
- Leave house and car keys in a safe place when you go to bed
- When you are away from your home, try to make it look like someone is there. Let neighbours you trust know if you are going away and ask them to keep an eye on your home
- Use an automatic timer to get lights to come on in the evening, or ask a friend or family member to pop in from time to time
- Cancel papers or any other deliveries before going on holiday
- Don’t leave valuable or easily moved items, such as car keys or DVD players, where they can be seen from a window
- If you will be away from home for more than four weeks, tell your housing officer
Above all else, please make sure you have up to date home contents insurance in case the worse does happen. We can help you arrange it at a special rate through our discounted scheme. It's very easy to arrange.
Help us prevent crome by telling us about what is happening in your community. For example, let us know if a security light isn't working or there is a fault with a door entry system to a block of flats.
We carry out regular inspections and also support local crime prevention schemes, such as Neighbourhood Watch. If you are worried about your safety or the security of your home talk to us about it. We will always be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.
Page last updated: 23 December 2015