Keeping pets in your home

We know pets are great additions to the family and we’re more than happy to support responsible pet owners. We have had to write a few rules just to help you to understand what’s acceptable to us and what’s not.

What do I do if I’d like to get a pet?

Before you get a pet, you need to get in touch with your Housing Officer; you can contact them through all the usual ways.

If you’re looking to move into one of our homes, one of our Lettings Officers will discuss keeping pets with you before you sign up to anything. If you don’t have pets when you move in we’ll ask you to sign our pet acknowledgement form to say you understand the rules about keeping pets. We do also have a pet policy that it’s really important all our tenants agree to.

What kind of pets can I keep?

Usually we’re happy to give the go-ahead for you to keep any of the following in your home: cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, reptiles, insects, aquariums (depending on how big it is).

There are a few pets that are definitely not ok to keep in any of our homes
  • Any animals which should be registered under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. You can get an up-to-date list of all animals which the Act requires to be registered here
  • Dogs included in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
  • Livestock or farm animals including sheep, goats, pigs, cows, horses, ducks, cockerels or any other animals you might find on a farm
  • Any dogs or cats in flats or sheltered accommodation, unless the property has its own front door with direct access outside to the ground floor.

What if permission is refused?

If for any reason we don’t think you should keep a pet where you live, we will send a letter explaining why. You can give us a call and we will happily talk through this with you.

It could be for any of these reasons:

  • we think the number of pets is excessive or may cause a nuisance
  • we don’t think it is a suitable place for a pet to live
  • we don’t think the tenant is able to look after the pet
  • where records show a history of neglect or cruelty, or irresponsible pet ownership.

Is there anywhere I can get help with vet care?

Yes is the short answer. We know how important it is for our pets to be fit and healthy so we want to make sure you know about the support that is there for you and your pet.

PDSA, is an animal charity have a Vet Care services scheme for pet owners who receive either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit, and live within a certain area. You can visit their website to see if you are in an area to get support.

If you are thinking of getting a pet, why not check out any of these local places at the rescue pets there?


Page last updated: 19 January 2016

A to Z

Can't find what you are looking for?

Popular pages


Latest news

House fire (1)