Adapting your home

We understand that all our tenants want to be able to live as independently as possible but sometimes you may need some help to do this so we are pleased to be able to provide different aids and adaptations to your home.

What help can you offer me?

There are many ways we help you by adapting your home or giving you something which assists your day to day life such as a flashing doorbell if you are hard of hearing or more significant structural changes like creating a wet room.

How do I get some help?

You, a family member or someone who already helps you needs to speak to the NHS Occupational Therapy (OT) Service to make sure specially trained people can give you the best advice and assessment. This might mean they come to your home to discover your needs.

This could take up to 12 months.

New referral please ring 01724 298206

Follow-up referrals or general enquiries (available 24 hours with an out of hours answerphone) please ring 01724 282282 (ext 3961).

I’ve had my Occupational Therapy Assessment, what happens now?

The assessment will be sent to either us or North Lincolnshire Council and we will then decide what steps we can take to help you the best.

The process is different depending on whether the adaptation is considered as minor or major.

What’s a minor adaptation?

Minor adaptations are generally not permanently fixed to your home such as a grab rail.

If you are assessed to need a minor adaptation the request will be sent to the Minor Equipment Panel (MEP) who will decide whether the work can be carried out or not. Once approved the North Lincolnshire Council’s handyman service will contact you directly and will carry out the work. After it is finished we will pay for the work.

This could take up to 4 weeks.

What’s a Major Adaptation?

A major adaptation is usually a structural change to your home such as a wet room.

If it’s decided you need a major adaptation the process is a little more complex.

If a home is available near to where you live which meets your needs you may be offered a chance to move.

If your home isn’t due for any improvements then there are other ways the work can be funded. For example you may be eligible for a means tested Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) from North Lincolnshire Council.

 After this the work will be passed to our contractors and we will let you know when the work is due to start. Our contractor will then come and see you seven days before work begins.

They will explain the process, talk about any concerns you have and will check for any health and safety issues and see if you need any respite care arranging.

Once the works finished we will come and check that it’s been done to a high standard and that everything has been done to meet your needs. Occupational Therapy might also visit you double check you have everything you need.

It could take up to three months for the work to be completed.

Want to know more?

We're happy to chat to you more about this if you have further questions. Feel free to get in contact with us.

Page last updated: 09 December 2016