Support for young carers
We work with the Wellbeing and Young Carers Team at North Lincolnshire Council, so we can work together to support young carers who live in our homes.
We want to identify young carers that are not receiving support, and link these in with the Young Carers Team. Throughout North Lincolnshire there is only one specialist service available to assess Young Carers needs. This is through the Wellbeing and Young Carers Team. We want to raise aspirations of the young carers living in our homes, and provide pathways to allow them to develop and flourish in life.
What is a young carer
A young carer is a person under 18 who regularly cares for a family member who is mentally or physically ill, has a disability or drug or alcohol problems. Young carers often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult.
Children are often very happy to help their parent or family member and it can be very positive, but children also have the right to be looked after, to have their own time to play, develop and learn.
- Support to complete a self assessment to identify the young person’s needs in relation to the care they provide
- Help to find the right support for the young carer and their family
- Opportunities to have a break from caring responsibilities, meet other young carers and share experiences
- Advice and support in coping with feelings and self care
- Information to help young carers learn about the illness or disability that affects the person they care for
- Advocacy on behalf of the young carer and support for the young person to advocate for the person they care for
- Regular consultation about what young carers want and need from services
We work with schools, colleges and other agencies to raise awareness about young carers, including how to identify and support them effectively.
If you are a young carer or know of a young carer in your community please let us know by contacting our customer centre and someone will be in touch. Or just chat to us on the 'Live Chat' orange button below.