The way benefits are paid is changing, if you're affected you need to take action.
The changes include:
- Universal Credit - Housing benefit is now paid directly to you, so it's your responsibility to pay your rent on time.
- Under Occupation - Housing Benefit is now restricted to only allow payments for one bedroom for each person or couple in your home.
- The Benefit Cap - The Government has put a cap on how much benefit a single person or couple is entitled to, if they are of working age.
- Deductions for non-dependents - If you claim Housing Benefit and have someone living with you who is over 18 (except your partner) they have to pay towards your rent. This contribution is knocked off what you can claim.
- Discretionary housing payments - North Lincolnshire Council has a Government fund which may give you some extra help in the form of a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).
PLEASE NOTE: the changes do not affect people of pension age
You can request more information and help with benefits by logging onto My Home, your online tenant portal.