Download Magnify Burger menu < Minus Plus Circle Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Lock Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Toolbox Multiply Arrow Up Envelope Phone Ticket Clock Calendar Share Skip to main content

Adapting your home

We all hope to live as independently as we can, for as along as we can, and there are ways we can help you do this with some simple adaptations to your home.

Whether it is due to older age, an illness or a disability, there are things which will make life easier for you, such as a ramp at your front door or grab rails in the bathroom.

There are two types of adaptations, minor or major.

  • Minor adaptations
    These are things which are not fitted to your home and can easily be moved or changed, such as grab rails.
  • Major adaptations
    These are more long term fittings which require some structural changes, such as the installation of a wet room to replace your bathroom.

How to request an adaptation to your home

Whether you need a minor adaptation or major adaptation to your home, the first step is always the same.

You will need to make an appointment with the adult services department at your local council. They will visit you in your home and assess exactly what help you need. Your doctor can help with a referral, or you can read more about the service and how to access it here.

Should the council agree that you need adaptations to your home they will produce a report outlining exactly what you need.

This is really important as it helps us determine what work we need to do. The costs are usually covered but if there is a cost for you, we will discuss this with you before any work is carried out.

If it is recommended that a major adaptation is needed, there might be different options available to you.

It might be that we already have a fully adapted home perfect for your needs and so you might consider moving into an alternative home. We will help you throughout the process to make it as easy and stress-free as possible.

Major adaptations will need paying for and these are usually funded by a Disabled Facilities Grant from North Lincolnshire Council, or your local authority if you live outside the area.

If you would like more information or have a question, post it here and we will get back to you as soon as we can or click on Live Chat to be put through to a Customer Advisor straight away.

Ask a question

Any personal information you provide to us on this form will be treated in accordance with current UK data protection law and our data protection policies, procedures and privacy notices in place from time to time. For full details of how we will use your personal information and comply with current UK data protection law please see our privacy notice. A copy of our privacy notice is available at or on request.

Please check your answers above