Download Magnify Burger menu < Minus Plus Circle Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Lock Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Toolbox Multiply Arrow Up Envelope Phone Ticket Clock Calendar Share Skip to main content


The way benefits are paid is changing, if you're affected you need to take action.

The changes include:


  • Universal Credit - Housing benefit is now paid directly to you, so it's your responsibility to pay your rent on time.
  • Under Occupation - Housing Benefit is now restricted to only allow payments for one bedroom for each person or couple in your home.
  • The Benefit Cap - The Government has put a cap on how much benefit a single person or couple is entitled to, if they are of working age. 
  • Deductions for non-dependents - If you claim Housing Benefit and have someone living with you who is over 18 (except your partner) they have to pay towards your rent. This contribution is knocked off what you can claim.
  • Discretionary housing payments - North Lincolnshire Council has a Government fund which may give you some extra help in the form of a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

PLEASE NOTE: the changes do not affect people of pension age

You can request more information and help with benefits by logging onto My Home, your online tenant portal.

If you haven't got an account yet, registering is really simple. Just head to or download the My Home app from Google Play or the Apple app store.

  • How we can support you

    We have a Benefits Advice Team which has been set up just to help you through the changes. The team has the skills to help you make the right financial decisions, whether it be setting up a bank account, arranging Direct Debits or lowering your household bills. Get in touch with us for more information.

  • What you can do

    Check out the local council's benefits calculator or take a look at the tools and resources available on Turn 2 Us, for a useful benefits calculator and grants search tools.

    Budget carefully
    It is very important you get the right advice. This will allow you to budget for the changes and plan ahead so you don’t end up running out of money.

    Get a bank account
    With Universal Credit coming soon, all benefit payments will be paid directly to you so you need a bank account. Having an account will help you to manage your money, set up monthly Direct Debits and take the worry out of budgeting. If you don’t have a bank account, call us straight away and we will help.

    Set up a Direct Debit
    The best way to make sure your rent is paid on time is to set up a Direct Debit so you rent money is transferred automatically to Ongo Homes. Direct Debits are quick and convenient, payments can be altered if your rent changes, and payments are secure and covered by a guarantee.

    Get online
    Most benefits claims will be made online. If you need help getting online, we have set up our own broadband service which has discounted rates for our tenants. Call us for more info.

  • Money advice sessions

    We're holding some money advice sessions which you may find useful. These will take place across the county with a member of our specialist team. Call us on 01724 279900 to register your interest.

    • Barton Local Link Tuesdays 1.30pm – 4.30pm
    • Winterton Local Link Tuesdays 2.00pm – 5.00pm
    • Ashby Local Link Wednesdays 9.00am – 12 midday

    A Financial Inclusion session will be held each week at:

    • Westcliff Drop-in Centre Thursdays 1.00pm – 4.00pm