Download Magnify Burger menu < Minus Plus Circle Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Lock Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Toolbox Multiply Arrow Up Envelope Phone Ticket Clock Calendar Share Skip to main content

Discretionary housing payments

What is it?

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a Government fund which North Lincolnshire Council has, to provide extra help to people struggling to pay their rent.

These payments are awarded as a short term measure to assist households suffering from severe financial hardship. They can only be awarded when the amount of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element) you receive is less than the rent and council tax you have to pay.

DHP can help you pay a rent deposit to cover payments for a property you are due to move into and potentially moving costs, but you will need to prove that the property is affordable to you, and you had a valid reason to move.

You can apply if:

  • You are already receiving the housing element of Universal Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction and the amount of benefit you receive does not cover the amount you have to pay
  • You are affected by the bedroom tax
  • Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit has reduced due to the benefit cap or another benefit restriction
  • You have a non dependant e.g. a child aged over 18 living with you
  • You don’t have enough money coming in to pay all of your bills

How to apply:

  • Online: You can complete an online application here
  • Letter: North Lincolnshire Council Benefits Section, PO Box 70, Brigg, DN20 8YE
  • Phone: 01724 297000 (North Lincolnshire Council staff are available Monday to Thursday 8.30am- 5pm and Friday 8.30am-4.30pm)
  • Email:

Making your application:

If you make an application, please remember

  • It's best to put as much information as possible on your application
  • Include information on the income you get and what you spend it on to show why you should be awarded DHP
  • Give details of what you have done or are doing to try and improve your financial situation, e.g. change to a cheaper electric supplier, shop at a budget supermarket, trying to move to a small property

If you have any questions, or require extra support to make your application, we can help. Just fill in the form below and we'll get in touch with you.

You can also request help with Discretionary Housing Payments by logging onto My Home, your online tenant portal.

If you haven't got an account yet, registering is really simple. Just head to or download the My Home app from Google Play or the Apple app store.

Get help to make your DHP application:

If you have an email address please enter it here.

Any personal information you provide to us on this form will be treated in accordance with current UK data protection law and our data protection policies, procedures and privacy notices in place from time to time. For full details of how we will use your personal information and comply with current UK data protection law please see our privacy notice. A copy of our privacy notice is available at or on request.

Please check your answers above