Download Magnify Burger menu < Minus Plus Circle Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Lock Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Toolbox Multiply Arrow Up Envelope Phone Ticket Clock Calendar Share Skip to main content

Anti-social behaviour frequently asked questions

If I’m experiencing Anti-social behaviour what can be done?

When dealing with anti-social behaviour, it’s always best to try to sort out the problem yourself if possible. Try talking to your neighbour and discuss your concerns with them in a reasonable and polite manner. Most neighbours will respond to a reasonable request and it’s better to approach them first and try to work things out between you. If this approach doesn’t work, or you feel unable or are frightened to talk to your neighbour, contact us.

If you are witnessing or suffering nuisance, crime and antisocial behaviour it is important to keep detailed records of what is happening. This can help us and partner agencies to work out what is happening and when. It is important you tell us how the nuisance or antisocial behaviour is impacting you.

I want to make a complaint but I’m worried, what can I do?

We respond to reports of anti-social behaviour quickly and confidentially.

Everything we talk about will be confidential and will not be discussed with anyone else without your permission. We do not tell the other party who has made the complaint. However, it could be that the initial actions or the type of anti-social behaviour could identify where the complaint has come from for example, noise nuisance is usually only heard by adjoining neighbours. We will never reveal your involvement to the other party without your knowledge and permission.

What will happen if I have been reported for anti-social behaviour?

If you feel your behaviour may not have been ideal, try discussing it with your neighbour before it becomes an accusation of anti-social behaviour – for example, apologising to your neighbour the day after a party which might have caused noise nuisance. You may also consider advising your neighbour in advance as they may wish to go out for the evening when the party is taking place.

An accusation of anti-social behaviour may not come through us and your neighbour may approach you to discuss your behaviour. Remember both parties need to stay calm and if you feel the conversation escalating it is best to just walk away.

If a complaint of anti-social behaviour is made against you, do your best to reduce or stop the behaviour that is upsetting your neighbour, put yourself in their shoes and see if you can understand their point of view. We can support you to resolve any issues between both parties.

My neighbour has reported me for noise nuisance, what can I do?

It is important to remember that noise can travel and to think about the effect any noise can have on your neighbours. It is a good idea to get to know your neighbours and their lifestyle so you can fully consider the effect you are having on each other. If you suspect you are upsetting or disturbing them, try to reduce your noise levels.

If you are approached by a neighbour and asked to keep your noise down, react positively. Respect their right to peace and quiet in their own home. A couple of top tips for reducing noise are:

  • Avoid slamming doors 
  • Think about fitting carpets and curtains, they to help absorb sound
  • Make your children aware their noise can disturb others
  • Avoid screaming and shouting
  • Don't use car horns unnecessarily; or slam car doors or rev car engines, especially when others are trying to sleep
  • Don’t have regular, loud or late-night parties. If you are having a party consider inviting your neighbours, or warn them in advance and let them know when it is likely to finish. 
  • Keep noisy household tasks to during normal waking hours, such as using washing machines or doing DIY. If you need to do it later in the day, try and agree on good times with your neighbours.
  • Make sure all of your visitors understand and follow these same tips

I've been threatened with violence, what can I do?

The threat of violence is very serious and it should be reported straight away to the police. Once you have a crime reference or log number please contact us to make a complaint and we can then work in partnership with the police.

Violence could be classed as someone using or threatening to use violence or any kind of intimidating behaviour. It can take the form of physical violence or non-physical violence with examples being hitting, kicking, swearing, or verbal abuse.