Download Magnify Burger menu < Minus Plus Circle Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Lock Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Toolbox Multiply Arrow Up Envelope Phone Ticket Clock Calendar Share Skip to main content

Keeping pets

If you would like to keep a pet, please get in touch with us as not all of our homes are suitable for animals.

We will help responsible pet owners where we can, but before we decide if you can keep a pet we need to consider what type of home you live in, the type of pet you would like to keep and if there are any other restrictions on pet ownership in the area. 

We would ask that you seek our written permission before you invest in a pet.

Each request is taken on a case by cases basis, so please refer to our policy for further details.

  • Can I have a pet at home?

    You can have a pet if you live in a home that is suitable.  We will usually allow pets in houses, flats and bungalows which have direct access to outside space.

    If your home is a flat or apartment which has a communal entrance and hallway then a cat or dog is not likely to be allowed.

  • Do I need to ask for permission?

    Yes, we would ask that you contact us before you get your pet to make sure it is okay.

    We will let you know our decision in writing.

  • What type of pet can I have?

    Usually we are happy for you to keep most types of small pets, such as a cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, some reptiles and insects and aquarium fish.

    However, there are a few pets we won't allow. This includes:

    • Any animal which is registered under the dangerous 'Wild Animal Act 1976'
    • Dogs included under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
    • Livestock or farm animals, such as sheep, goats, pigs, cows, horses, ducks, cockerels or any other animal you may find on a farm. 
  • Is there a limit to the number of pets I can have ?

    Yes. Again we will make a decision on a case by case basis. You can read more in our Pet Policy.

    We always support responsible pet owners and will work with the RSPCA where we consider an animal is being mistreated.

    You can find some great advice on keeping pets on the RSPCA website.

You can request permission to keep a pet by completing this form. However, if you live in shared accommodation, a flat or anywhere with a shared entrance or gardens, please get in touch to see if you qualify first.

Your details
Details about your pets
Vet details
Please check your answers above