Board trainee programme success
One of our colleagues has secured a place on the Lincolnshire Housing Partnership (LHP) Trainee Board Member programme.
Hayley Sleight, Customer Engagement Officer at Ongo is one of the successful applicants to begin her journey into becoming a Board member.
After a tough application process, involving an application form, interviews with a global executive search and selection firm and a final panel interview with Lincolnshire Housing Partnership and the Housing Diversity Network.
The aim of the programme is designed to support individuals to develop their skills, knowledge and confidence to become fully ready to apply for and join a Board or Committee as a non-executive director.
Steve Hepworth, Chief Exec at Ongo said: “We’re incredibly proud of Hayley for securing a place on this programme. Colleague development is so important to us here at Ongo, so to see her embark on this journey to learn everything she needs to be able to successfully apply and become a Board member is just fantastic.
“Hayley is a key member of the Ongo team and she has such passion and drive to do the best job she can, particularly in supporting and working with our tenants to give them a voice in everything we do.
“I can’t wait to hear how the programme progresses and what she learns that will also no doubt help her in her role here too.”
Hayley can’t wait to get started; “I am excited to get a further understanding of social housing at Board level. I feel blessed to have been successful in gaining this opportunity and look forward to the knowledge and experience I’ll get throughout the programme.”
The programme is being carried out in partnership with the Housing Diversity Network (HDN) and will be a two year programme focusing on development and mentoring of the successful two individuals to learn vital skills required to become a Board member, including:
- Governance and regulation of housing associations
- Government Housing Policy direction, strategy and impact
- Growth – strategic partnerships, mergers, new homes etc
- Business Diversification and Project Appraisal techniques
- Diversity of thought – to using your skills in the Board Room
- Role of Audit and Internal Controls assurance
- Value for Money and management of Risks
- Understanding financial reporting, assurance and treasury management
- Customer Engagement – hearing the customer voice
- Health and Safety Assurance Business transformation and the digital agenda
- Managing your assets
Throughout the two years, Hayley will attend training events, mentor and meetings, complete the HDN Board Excellence Certification Programme and observe a number of LHP Board and Committee meetings – all of which will equip her with new skills and knowledge.
Keep an eye out on social media to follow Hayley’s journey.