The Arc: five years on
The Arc community centre in Westcliff, Scunthorpe recently marked five successful years. To celebrate all of their fantastic achievements during this time, we created a video and would love to share it with you.
It highlights where the team are, all they’ve done to help the community, and local people share their thoughts.
Since opening 2018, so much has happened, including;
- Working in partnership with youth providers and the police, as well as setting up their own activities and mentoring service to help reduce anti-social behaviour, with cases significantly dropping
- Providing access to benefits advice and financial support from Citizens Advice
- Maintaining a constant stream of volunteers and work placements (on average 20 people per year) and they employ five local people too
- Successfully applying for several grants to support their mission, including £20k to deliver Fuelled, school holiday activities and a £650k Safer Streets fund to reduce crime in the area
- Introducing five groups each week from coffee mornings, bingo, knit & sip, stay & play along with other support groups
- Beginning regular health and wellbeing services from partner agencies as well as in-house counselling support
- Responding quickly to change, whether that’s with grocery parcels and wellbeing checks during Covid, to food pantries, warm spaces and clothing banks to help with the rising cost of living
To find out more about The Arc, visit their website www.arcwestcliff.co.uk