Mutual exchanges

If you’re already an Ongo tenant and are looking to move to another Ongo property, this can be done via a Mutual Exchange, or a Transfer.

Mutual Exchange

A mutual exchange is a home swap between two social housing tenants. It can happen for many reasons, such as needing more (or less) space, moving for work or to be closer to family. It’s a great option for social housing tenants who can’t access or don’t want to wait for the normal allocation process. It gives you more control and means you’re able to choose a home that suits your needs better in a place you want to live.

To be eligible for a Mutual Exchange:

  • You live in self-contained accommodation, for example a house or flat
  • Both you and the tenant you want to exchange homes with are renting your homes from the council or housing association.
  • Both of you have a secure or assured tenancy.

A Mutual Exchange is an ‘assignment of tenancies’, which means you enter an agreement to hand over your tenancy to the other party in the exchange and they do the same. You then take responsibility for the other party’s tenancy on the same terms and conditions as them.

To view homes available for exchange, you can use HomeSwapper, which is a national website that matches your needs with others to make sure it’s the perfect exchange. Once you’ve found your perfect match, you’ll need to fill in the application form on this page.

Step 1

Find your perfect home using HomeSwapper.

Step 2

Fill in the application form below.

There are certain conditions that you need to meet to be able to use this service:

  • You must be an assured tenant.
  • You must pass a pre-leaving inspection.
  • You must have a clear rent account.
  • You must have no tenancy breaches.
  • The property must be the right size and needs for your household.

Once you make an application, we have 42 days (six weeks) to make a decision on whether permission is granted. We will:

  • Check to see that you are eligible to exchange. As part of the checks we will arrange to inspect your home to identify any repairs or property condition issues which need putting right before the exchange can go ahead. An exchange may be approved subject to you undertaking any conditions and we may revisit the property to make sure these have been completed.
  • We will decide whether to approve the exchange. We can refuse permission, if:
    – you have rent arrears
    – you have a history of causing nuisance or anti-social behaviour
    – we are taking legal action to repossess your home or the home you want to exchange with (if it is our property)
    – we are taking legal action to repossess your home or we have served you with a Notice of Seeking Possession
    – one of the properties is going to be under or over-occupied
    – one of the properties is adapted and the person moving into the property does not require the adaptations.

    We also expect your reference checks to be clear and the property to be in a satisfactory condition. Other criteria may also apply.

Both exchange partners must have consent from their landlord before swapping. Each landlord should let you know whether you will be given assured or assured shorthold tenancies.

We will arrange to meet with you and the tenant you are exchanging with to sign the Deed of Assignment documents. These must be signed before you can move.

We will ensure that there is a up-to-date Energy Performance Certificate and we’ll book gas and electric safety test appointments for your new home.

Key things to consider

OngoPhotograph by Richard Walker/ImageNorth

Making sure it’s the right choice

You are responsible for making sure that the property you want to move to is in good repair and is suitable for your needs.

You will be responsible for the outgoing tenants’ alteration, the state of the decoration in the property you exchange to, and the cost of any remedial repairs if they are considered rechargeable.

Couple decorating

Understanding your obligations

We will not get involved in arrangements in terms of arrangements for moving and what will or will not be left in the property.

We will not carry out repairs to any items which are not our responsibility or remove any items which are left in the property or garden areas. Any arrangements you make regarding items to be left behind in the property are solely your responsibility.

You will be responsible for the decoration in the property you exchange into. We will not provide any paint, decorating materials or financial help towards redecoration.

Mutual Exchange application form

You can use this form to apply for a mutual exchange.


A Transfer is a move from your existing Ongo property to another Ongo property that has become vacant and made ready to let for another tenant. We appreciate that sometimes circumstances can change and you may want to move to a home which meets your change in needs. Here are some important things you need to know before you apply.

  • You will usually need to have held your Ongo tenancy for a period of two years, although each application will be individually assessed.
  • Your current rent account must be clear and should have been for at least 12 months.
  • You’ll need to have no other housing related debt, e.g recharges.
  • There needs to have been no tenancy breaches in the last 12 months.
  • You’ll also need to pass a pre-leaving inspection of your existing property.

You can bid on properties via the relevant Choice Based Lettings site for the location you wished to be housed via the links below. Plus, you can keep a check on our My Move site where you’ll also find properties to bid on as and when they are advertised.

We have homes in the following areas: