What is carbon monoxide?

Learn about the risks of carbon monoxide and how to prevent them

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas which can be emitted by faulty appliances powered by any fuel that burns.

It is essential that you understand the dangers of carbon monoxide and can recognise the health risks associated to it.

What are the signs of carbon monoxide?

Look out for:

  • Burning with a yellow/orange flame that’s normally blue
  • Extra condensation
  • Pilot lights blowing out
  • Sooting and/or yellow stains around appliances

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

You might experience any of the following:

  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Chest or stomach pains
  • Erratic behaviour,
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Breathlessness
  • Feeling tired or drowsy
  • Giddiness/headaches
  • Visual problems

Remember to open the window when using your cooker to keep air flowing through the kitchen.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Open doors and windows and get fresh air into the room straightaway
  • Turn off any fuel burning appliances
  • Leave the property
  • For gas appliances, call the National Gas Emergency Service on tel 0800 111999

You must also contact us straight away, tel 01724 279900.

If you believe you or anyone you know may have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you should immediately seek urgent medical advice from your doctor or your nearest Accident and Emergency department.

Do you have a gas cooker?

If you have a gas cooker in your home, it is your own property which means we are not responsible for its regular servicing and maintenance.

It’s important to have gas appliances regularly serviced to make sure they work safely and to protect everyone in your home from the danger of carbon monoxide.

We recommend that you have your cooker serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Our trusted company Hales & Coultas Heating and Plumbing are Gas Safe registered and will be able to help you at a competitive price. They operate across the whole of North Lincolnshire.