Service charges and major works

Every year, if you are a leaseholder, you will be asked to pay a service charge to us. In a nutshell, this is to pay for the day to day running and management of the main building your flat is in.

The service charge covers the following:

  • cost of keeping the estates tidy
  • repairs to the main building
  • insurance of the main building
  • lighting of communal areas
  • cleaning of communal areas
  • costs of managing the service

To find out more about service charges, just read through our frequently asked questions below.


Find out more below about service charges & major works

  • Your service charge is calculated in accordance with the terms of your lease.

Major home improvement works

We have done lots of major work in recent years to improve homes across North Lincolnshire. If you own a flat which has benefited from this investment, you will be asked to pay an apportioned share*. We have set up different payment options to help you spread the costs. There is also a discount for early payment.
We will let you know well in advance if we are planning to carry out any works on the flats that you will be expected to contribute towards.
Call our Home Ownership Team if you have any questions or worries about your improvement charges on 01724 279900.

Section 20: Consultation for major works with leaseholders

Under Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, you have a legal right to be consulted about any major works costing over £250 each within the block or any long term agreement made that will cost more than £100 a year.

If we expect a contract or piece of work to exceed these amounts we will consult you by:

  • Sending a Notice of Intention to commence works – since will detail the work being proposed and the estimated cost of the work
  • Give you at least 30 days to provide feedback on the proposal of works
  • A further notice to inform you of who has been chosen to carry out the works

Depending on the type of contract, you may have the right to nominate a contractor.
Please contact us if you would like further information about this process.

Standing order or Direct Debit

The easiest way for you to pay is by Direct Debit. Once you have set your payment up, we will make sure that it changes each year so that your service charge is covered. Contact us if you are are interested in paying by this method.


We really don’t want you to be carrying cash so would urge you to set up a Direct Debit or Standing Order. We will take cash at our Customer Centre, on Cole Street, in Scunthorpe, if you have no other option.

If you are having difficulty in paying your service charges, then please get in touch with us as soon as possible.
We have a Housing Services Team who can help you make the right financial decisions and assess as to whether you are eligible for any financial support.

Non-payment of service charges is a breach of your lease agreement and could put your home at risk. We are here to help and provide support but if you would prefer, you can also contact other organisations such as:

Citizens Advice Bureau
12 Oswald Road
DN15 7PT
Telephone: 01724 870941

Money Advice Service
Telephone: 0300 500 5000
Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm Saturday 9am -1pm

There are also some additional admin charges if you request any extra services or work from us. We will always tell you first.

The charges we make must always be reasonable. If you have concerns, you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal (FTT) to find out if a charge is fair and reasonable. The tribunal will decide how much you have to pay, the timeframe for payment and the way it must be paid. There is a charge to apply to the Tribunal, they will tell you how much it will cost you.

If a copy of your lease is required, please contact us and we can arrange for a copy to be sent to you. This will cost £20.00 for the associated work and resources involved.