Death of a tenant

Here’s some useful information about what we need to know.

FAQs on ending a tenancy

We know that losing a loved one is a devastating thing to have to deal with, so we are here to help you as much as we can.Here’s some useful information about what we need to know and a list of other organisations you should speak to.

The executor or next of kin for the tenant can end the tenancy; a notification of death form is to be completed by executor/NOK. A death certificate is also required for us to be able to end the tenancy or process a succession request. We can copy the death certificate on your behalf.

In the event of the death of a tenant, an occupant residing in the same property may have a legal right to succeed (take over) the tenancy.

This could be a spouse, civil partner, cohabiting partner or a member of the tenant’s family or person living with them who was caring for them and whom has lived at the property for at least 12 months before the tenant passed away.

Where successions will result in under-occupation or where a specially adapted property is no longer needed, we will seek to offer suitable alternative housing provision between 6 and 12 months after the death of the tenant.

We will respond to applications to take over tenancies within 20 working days.

Rent will accrue on the rent account up to the point the tenancy is ended and keys are returned.

Any housing benefit will stop the day after the tenant passes away. Rent is then due from the estate of the deceased tenant and not the executor/next of kin up to the point keys are returned.

The 28 day notice period will not be enforced and how long you may need to clear the property can be discussed, but bear in mind that rent will be accruing on the account.

If agreed with the executor/next of kin, a pre-termination visit will be arranged by the lettings officer, to discuss how the property should be handed back to us.

The property, garden and any outbuildings should be cleared and emptied of all belongings.

North Lincolnshire Council offer a bulky items service and will collect 3 bulky items for disposal for free in each financial year for each household. Find their information in our useful contacts list.

Our Choose to Reuse store offers free collection of household goods/furniture that can be sold in their second hand shop to people who need affordable furniture for their home. They cannot take white goods or gas appliances. Get in touch with us to find out more.

Utility companies will need to be informed (gas, electric, water & sewerage) who will need details of the tenant, details of executor/NOK and meter readings.

They will require the date keys to be returned to us.

Upon receiving notification of death of a tenant, we will apply to have the gas and electric supplier transferred to our preferred supplier.

Any gas cookers must be disconnected by a gas safe engineer. Check our useful contacts list for utility suppliers.

Any specialised equipment such as walking aids, bath seats or stair lifts need to be returned to North Lincolnshire Council Occupational Therapy, they can be contacted on 01724 290600.

All keys, fobs and parking permits for the property should be returned by the agreed date, usually not more than 28 days. Keys should be handed in at either office below, where an advisor will provide you a receipt for them.

Meridian House
Normanby Road
DN15 8QZ


Customer Centre
Cole Street
DN15 6QY

We don’t recommend that you send these in the post, but if you have no alternative, then recorded delivery is recommended.

Providing that a Notification of Death form has been completed by the executor/NOK and a death certificate has been received, someone may return the keys to us on your behalf at either office.

Who to contact:

  • Bank/building society
  • Doctors, dentists, opticians or any other agency providing medical care
  • Pension scheme providers
  • Insurance companies

Utility companies:

  • Severn Trent-03457 500 500
  • Anglian Water- 03457 145 145
  • Yorkshire water- 03451 24 24 24

The North Lincolnshire Council ‘tell us once’ service:
Please ring 01724 298555 to arrange an appointment to register a death.
You will then be offered the ‘tell us once’ service which has information on the below.

  • Attendance allowance
  • Adult services
  • Blue badge parking permit
  • Carer’s allowance
  • Child benefit
  • Child tax credit
  • Children’s services
  • Council tax
  • Council tax benefit
  • Disability living allowance
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Electoral services
  • Employment support allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Incapacity benefit
  • Income support
  • Jobseeker’s allowance
  • Library services
  • Owe payments to council
  • Passport service
  • Tax help for older people
  • Working tax credit