Keeping pets

If you would like to keep a pet, please get in touch with us as not all of our homes are suitable for animals.

We will help responsible pet owners where we can, but before we decide if you can keep a pet we need to consider what type of home you live in, the type of pet you would like to keep and if there are any other restrictions on pet ownership in the area.

We would ask that you seek our written permission before you invest in a pet.

Each request is taken on a case by cases basis, so please refer to our policy for further details.

FAQs on keeping pets

Find out more information below

You can have a pet if you live in a home that is suitable. We will usually allow pets in houses, flats and bungalows which have direct access to outside space.

If your home is a flat or apartment which has a communal entrance and hallway then a cat or dog is not likely to be allowed.

Yes, we would ask that you contact us before you get your pet to make sure it is okay.

We will let you know our decision in writing.

Usually we are happy for you to keep most types of small pets, such as a cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, some reptiles and insects and aquarium fish.

However, there are a few pets we won’t allow. This includes:

  • Any animal which is registered under the dangerous ‘Wild Animal Act 1976’.
  • Dogs included under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
  • Livestock or farm animals, such as sheep, goats, pigs, cows, horses, ducks, cockerels or any other animal you may find on a farm.

Is there a limit to the number of pets I can have?

Yes. Again we will make a decision on a case by case basis. You can read more in our Pet Policy.

We always support responsible pet owners and will work with the RSPCA where we consider an animal is being mistreated.

You can find some great advice on keeping pets on the RSPCA website.

Guidance on XL Bully dogs

XL Bully dogs have been added to the list of dogs which are banned in England and Wales and we at Ongo appreciate this may be concerning and upsetting for owners.

From 31 December 2023 the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 was amended and it is now a criminal offence to:

  • Breed or breed from the dog
  • Sell or exchange the dog
  • Give the dog away
  • Allow the dog to be in a public place without being muzzled and kept on a lead
  • Abandon the dog or allow it to stray.

Please note a public place includes the inside of a motor vehicle if it is in a public place at the time. The muzzle must be sufficient to prevent the dog from biting a person. The lead must be held securely by a person at least 16 years old.

From 1 February 2024, it will be illegal to own an XL Bully unless your dog has been exempted and you have a Certificate of Exemption to prove this. If your dog has been exempted you must adhere to the conditions, otherwise you could be committing a criminal offence and your dog could be seized. You must be able to show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or a council dog warden, either at the time or within five days.

If you are unsure if your dog is an XL Bully, please look at the Government’s broad legal definition of an XL Bully dog. If your dog is not currently muzzle trained, please look at the Blue Cross muzzle training advice


Dangerous dogs are dealt with by the Police under the Dangerous Dogs Act. In an emergency, contact the police directly on 999. Banned or stolen dogs should be reported directly to the Police on 101.

You can request permission to keep a pet by completing this form

However, if you live in shared accommodation, a flat or anywhere with a shared entrance or gardens, please get in touch to see if you qualify first.