We have teamed up with Citizens Advice to offer financial support
We have appointed a specialist advisor to support our customers with the rising cost of living, so far helping 130 people secure over £200,000 in additional funds.
The position, which is funded by us, operates from within Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire, based in Scunthorpe. Samantha Lister took on the role in November 2022 and has since had a huge impact.
Her main aim is to help people increase or maximise their income, understand their choices and make an informed decision that best suits their needs. Examples of this support includes:
- Switching energy suppliers or tariffs, including comparisons to identify savings
- Energy and thermal efficiency measures, and identifying grants available
- Providing benefit entitlement checks and assistance in claiming benefits. This includes health and disability benefits, warm home discount, rebates available from energy and water suppliers and the priority services register
- Non-monetary debt advice about priority debts and budgeting
- Accessing financial support to pay off fuel debts through charitable grants, and ongoing payment plans, aimed at giving clients long-term relief from fuel poverty
- Making referrals to our employment support and recruitment team to help people access work and training
Samantha commented: “The cost of living is affecting us all massively, from the food shop to energy prices, and so this service is so needed right now, and I am delighted to be a part of it.
“Many Ongo customers are unaware of extra income they may be entitled to, some may require support in budgeting and inevitably others are struggling with debt.
“To know we can help with that, take some stress away from families and help them live a better life makes my job so worthwhile.
“In just one case we helped someone secure over £19,000, which is huge. Not all cases are like this, some are much smaller sums, but make such a difference. Please if you need help let us know, don’t suffer in silence.”
If you are a tenant and you’re struggling financially, please call us on 01724 279900 For more information on support, go to: www.ongo.co.uk/help-with-finances.