Download Magnify Burger menu < Minus Plus Circle Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Lock Facebook Twitter Youtube Pinterest Toolbox Multiply Arrow Up Envelope Phone Ticket Clock Calendar Share Skip to main content

Reporting anti-social behaviour

Everyone has the right to enjoy their home, especially free from nuisance or anti-social behaviour of others, our Tenancy Services Team works with local councils and partner organisations to keep our communities thriving and a great place to live.

What is anti-social behaviour?

It is defined as 'any behaviour that harasses or causes nuisance or annoyance to someone else'. A wide range of these actions can include:

  • Noisy and/or abusive behaviour
  • Vandalism
  • Graffiti
  • Intimidation
  • Public drunkenness
  • Littering
  • Fly tipping
  • Illegal drug use
  • Excessively barking dogs

Find out more about anti-social behaviour and the common types.

What is not anti-social behaviour?

Sometimes we can be impacted by the lifestyles of our neighbours, which are general day to day living, here are some examples that you may expect:

  • Day to day living noise such as footsteps or low level household appliances from neighbouring properties
  • Differing lifestyle choices or cultures and faiths
  • One-off parties and barbecues
  • Infrequent and occasional noise or disturbances
  • Children’s play
  • Occasional dog barking
  • Excessive noise from domestic appliances (e.g. washing machines, vacuum cleaners)
  • Minor vehicle repairs
  • Gossip

Your first steps when faced with Anti-social behaviour

If you are made to feel uncomfortable or inconvenienced by other people’s behaviour around your home, where it is safe to do so, you should first try to approach the other party involved to explain to them how their actions are affecting you and ask them to change their behaviour. Sometimes, other people may not be aware that their behaviour is causing distress or nuisance and letting them know may help.

If you feel threatened, intimidated, or witness a crime, you should always contact the police first. You can contact the police by calling 999 to report emergencies or by calling 101 for non-emergencies.

Useful advice about how to deal with a problem neighbour can be found at Citizens Advice or ABS Help.

What to expect if you report?

If you are the person reporting, there may be occasions where you need to report incidents to partner agencies such as;

  • Police, who will provide you with reference or log numbers
  • Local authorities Environmental Health Noise investigation teams, who will request you record a diary, CCTV footage or photo evidence.

You may be asked to attempt to resolve the situation yourself, speaking to the person, signing a Good Neighbour Agreement or consenting to mediation. 

We will take responsibility to help you, when these things happen we want to help with an early resolution between everyone that is involved with all parties needs considered and supported. Additional help and support can be provided through Ongo Communities team and referrals to partner agencies. 

We have added some more frequently asked questions here.

If you also want to understand more you can visit our housing policy pages for more information.

How to report anti-social behaviour?

If you need to report anti-social behaviour, you can use our quick and easy self-service option through My Home, your online account. If you are already registered you can log in online through our website, or by downloading the app from the app store or google play store. If you are unable to use My Home, you can speak to us over the phone.

If you feel threatened, intimidated, or witness a crime, you should always contact the police first. You can contact the police by calling 999 to report emergencies or by calling 101 for non-emergencies.

Helpful links and information

We work with the following organisations, who may also be able to assist you:

Please refer to your local authority or police team in the area which you live

North Lincolnshire Council (Scunthorpe and surrounding areas)

Doncaster properties (including, Moorends, Hatfield, Thorne, Balby)

Bircotes properties

Lincoln properties (including North Hykeham)

Gainsborough, Nettleham and Blyton Properties